:computer: PHP_CodeSniffer in combination with WordPress Coding Standards is a powerful tool for detecting violations of coding standards in PHP code.
You are going to learn:
Why Use PHP_CodeSniffer? Why Use PHP_CodeSniffer?
Using PHP_CodeSniffer and WordPress Coding Standards offers several benefits:
- :heavy_check_mark: Ensures consistent coding standards are followed.
- :heavy_check_mark: Helps improve code readability and maintainability.
- :heavy_check_mark: Prevents syntax errors and common pitfalls.
- :heavy_check_mark: Enhances collaboration and code review process.
How Does PHP_CodeSniffer Work? How Does PHP_CodeSniffer Work?
PHP_CodeSniffer analyzes PHP code by parsing it and comparing it against a defined set of coding standards. It checks for violations such as formatting issues, naming conventions, function and method signatures, and other coding best practices.
To use PHP_CodeSniffer with WordPress Coding Standards, follow these steps:
- Install PHP_CodeSniffer globally or as a project dependency.
- Install the WordPress Coding Standards rule set.
- Configure PHP_CodeSniffer to use the WordPress Coding Standards.
To install PHP_CodeSniffer globally, you can use the following command:
composer global require "squizlabs/php_codesniffer=*"
To install the WordPress Coding Standards rule set, use this command:
composer global require "wp-coding-standards/wpcs=*"
To configure PHP_CodeSniffer to use the WordPress Coding Standards, you need to set the appropriate ruleset. You can do this by running the following command:
phpcs --config-set installed_paths /path/to/wp-coding-standards/
PHP_CodeSniffer with WordPress Coding Standards is an essential tool for developers to ensure code quality, consistency, and adherence to best practices. By using it, you can easily identify and fix coding